What and how does the photo affect?
1. Photographer – the main element during the shooting. If there were no person, the camera would not turn on, not be installed in the correct position near the model or landscape, did not focus and did not take a picture at all. The photographer controls the whole shooting process, he is fully responsible for the shooting process, he is responsible for the result and no sign-offs are allowed here. If someone called himself a photographer, he should be able to photograph and get excellent results even on the phone, soap box and tin can. And this requires much more than just taking the camera in hand and pressing a button.
But, of course, the person himself cannot control everything, because I will call external factors the next factor that influences the creation of a photo.
2. External factors, such as the location of the shooting, the mood of the participants in the shooting, the type of shooting and the time allotted for the shooting. Let me give an example: when a photographer takes off his report, he cannot force someone to look exactly where he needs to be, or ask to do something, he can only catch moments, look for a good angle. Also, shooting a landscape suddenly begins to rain – the photographer will not be able to get a perfect blue sky, but he can get a rainy picture. Very strongly influenced by the mental attitude involved in the shooting. It is not always possible to customize and arrange the participants for the shooting or, for example, change the hairstyle of the model. The help of a make-up artist, a well-thought-out idea, etc., greatly influence an artistic photo. An experienced photographer will be able to squeeze the maximum out of the situation and will never blame such a coincidence of circumstances.
3. Light – an element of both technical and natural. Light is the key to success. Light – this is what creates the image on the film, or on the matrix, or in extreme cases – gives a summer tan. Without light, the photographer is difficult. Control of the light also makes the photographer – he correctly arranges the participants in the direction of the sun, selects shadows. On the technical side, the photographer uses flash, even during the day, reflectors, softboxes, creative lighting systems. This is especially true in the studio.
3.1. Assistant photographer. I did not select the assistant photographer as a separate item that affects the photo, because the assistant photographer can be more attributed to the photographer who organized the photo shoot, and since the assistant photographer is often involved in organizing the right lighting, the assistant is part of the lighting system. In some cases, without an assistant can not do. With an assistant you can get a good photo much faster, and you can always talk with someone :). Usually serious photography involves a lot of people, the so-called team of the photographer. The team of the photographer, too, is very, very important for creating good pictures.
4. Post processing using software (for example, using Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.). It is no secret that nowadays the absorbing part of photography is digital, and sometimes it requires digital processing. A lot depends on the skills of the photographer or another person to correct the frame using software. Everyone knows that a photo can be “pulled out” from a soap box no worse than from a clever DSLR. It takes time, skill and energy.
Spoiler: today a tough post photo processing has become a kind of scourge of photography. With any, even the most disgusting photo, you can create ‘masterpiece’ by adding a million and one filter there :).
5. Lens – an indispensable tool in the hands of any photographer. Everybody knows the proverb that a photographer buys a lens, and a camera on the change. The lens gives exactly the picture that we see, it creates it, bends it, complements it, works with sharpness, DOF and other smart things. Very much depends on the speed of its focus and focal lengths. Because the lens is so important in photography.
6. Camera. By and large, it is a black (sometimes more glamorous color) drawer, with curtains that sometimes open to feed light onto a film, a matrix, etc. The earlier film and camera were also separate. Now they pay so much attention to the camera due to the fact that there is a matrix instead of a film, which has a number of characteristics that many scientists are working on and that even more people discuss. The camera allows you to simply dock the work of the photographer, lens, flash (light) and save the image on film or memory card.
7. Printing device. It depends on the very-very final result of all the attempts of the photographer. Printers have different print quality, color profiles, this is not unimportant moment.
A colleague provides a new service ‘professional photography of pictures for reproduction, reproduction or printing in catalogs‘, who may be interested, details here.
8. Display. Sometimes, I would say, very often the photo does not reach print and is shown on the display. Of course, the better the display conveys colors and shades – the better the photo will look. Millions of articles have also been written on this subject.